Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Irish Crochet Simple Leaf Pattern

A few days ago one Lacy Crochet reader asked me for help with an Irish crochet leaf and sent me a picture. I had never tried my hand at Irish crochet before, but I’ve seen some gorgeous doilies, tablecloths, and even tops and dresses made in this crochet technique. I always admired them but was too intimidated to try something that complicated myself! But now, thanks to my reader, I made my first step into the direction of conquering Irish crochet technique.

I looked at some leaves online to get the idea how they are crocheted. Then after some experimenting, I was able to come up with my own leaf similar to the one in the picture that my reader sent me.

Irish crochet  leaf pattern


At first, I was going to sketch a symbol chart for it, but it proved to be a difficult task. Somehow I just couldn’t get the spacing right (I’m not an artist and I don’t have a symbol chart making software). So I thought it would be easier to write a pattern. After all, there are only five rows in my leaf.

Irish crochet leaf free pattern

I am posting the pattern below. Please note that I didn’t have anyone to test this pattern. If you find any mistakes or have questions about it, just write them in the comments, and I will try to address them as soon as possible.

It might be confusing if you start this pattern with crochet thread, so I suggest you practice with yarn first. Once you get the grip of the pattern, it will be easy to make this Irish leaf with thread.

The green leaves in the picture were made with cotton yarn, and the red ones with pearl cotton thread.


Abbreviations

ch chain(s)
sl st slip stitch
sc single crochet(s)


Work all stitches in standard location unless specified otherwise.

Ch 8.

Row 1: Sc in 3rd ch from hook and in each chain across (6 sc in total), ch 3 , sc in the same ch. Continuing along the other side of the starting chain, sc to end of chain. Turn.

Row 2: Sl st to 2nd sc, ch 2. Working in the back loop 5 sc. [Sc, ch 3, sc] all in ch-3 space. Working in the back loop 6 sc. Ch 2, turn.

Row 3: 6 sc, [2 sc, ch 3, 2 sc] all in ch-3 space, 7 sc. Turn.

Row 4: Sl st to 2nd sc, ch 2. Working in the back loop 6 sc. [2 sc, ch 3, 2 sc] all in ch-3 space. Working in the back loop 7 sc. Ch 2, turn.

Row 5: 8 sc, 4 sc in ch-3 space, 9 sc.

Fasten off. Wave in ends.

9 comments:

  1. The thing is, it's not so diffecult you only have to do it really. If you want to see how it works look here:
    www.mypicot.com
    They have really nice things show and to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Olga! Love irish crochet, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also I admire the Irish crochet hook! Leaf beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also admire the Irish crochet leaf I think it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really pretty and they make great ducks feet too lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, thanks. Is it all right if I use this pattern for my crochet that I am going to display online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, feel free to use this pattern for your work to be displayed or even for sale. However, please, do not publish the pattern on your site/blog, but you can give a link to the pattern if you wish.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for your generosity and for sharing.. and I'll post a link to your blog for the Irish leaf tuts.

      Delete
  7. thank you for posting it, I was looking for nice leaves for some time.

    ReplyDelete